July 14, 2021
CMS has issued the proposed physician fee schedule for 2022 for review and comment. It includes a grab-bag of changes, some good and some not so good. Here is a list of the most significant proposed changes.
- Conversion factor reduction of 3.75% from $34.89 in 2021 to $33.58 in 2022 for a $1.31 reduction.
- Appropriate Use Criteria Program - CMS proposes to delay the payment penalty phase to January 1, 2023 or the January 1st that follows the end of the declared Public Health Emergency
- Telehealth change - Allowing audio only services for established mental health patients in their homes for evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of mental health disorders.
- MIPS 2022- Change in performance threshold to 75 points, and 89 points for exceptional performance
- MIPS Value Pathways(MVP) implementation in 2023 - This will be the 1st performance year to report MVP
Many of the specialty societies will submit comments, no doubt. To read more about these changes see the links here: